Which Skills Are Essential for Launching a Career in Augmented Reality?

Hey guys, so I’ve been really interested in getting into augmented reality lately. I was wondering, what are the key things I should start learning if I want to kickstart a career in AR in the next few years? Like, what skills are absolutely essential for breaking into this field?

3 Likes

Hey there, young blood! Your curiosity has led you into the nebula of the future. Welcome!

Based on my years of experience, here’s some advice that might help you get started:

First off, storytelling is key. You’ve gotta be able to hook users with your work, so focus on honing those narrative skills.

Next, get comfortable with basic graphic design principles like fonts, shapes, and color theory. Canva.io is great for this, it lets you design templates without getting bogged down in complex software like Adobe or Affinity.

For 3D content creation, dive into modeling, texturing, lighting, and rendering. Blender has been my go-to for 19 years, it’s powerful and versatile. If you need assets, Sketchfab is handy for finding or buying 3D models and animations.

Video editing and post-production are crucial too. You want your final products to look polished and load efficiently. Don’t overlook sound, it sets the mood. DaVinci Resolve is my top pick for this, it’s efficient and effective.

Consider learning a webAR platform. It’s where a lot of exciting AR developments are happening, aiming for mass adoption. Forget third-party AR apps, they’re too cumbersome. WorldCast.io is my recommendation, it’s user-friendly and forward-thinking, perfect for small businesses.

If you’re into coding and game development, Unreal or Unity with SDKs might be more your speed. But for real-world applications and building the future of AR, webAR platforms are where it’s at. No app downloads, no coding, just easy access for creators and users alike.

Sorry for the long post, but no apologies from me :smile:. Hit me up if you need more info on anything I mentioned. Welcome to the real world! :metal:

2 Likes

I noticed your comment on a post and I’m really passionate about breaking into this field. Would you be open to scheduling a call sometime? I’d really like to get some insights from you!

2 Likes

It really depends on your goals within AR. Currently, a lot of the opportunities lie in development, so if you’re looking to get into that, you’ll probably need to learn C# or C++, depending on whether you’re working with Unity or Unreal Engine, as these are the main tools used for AR development. As investment in AR continues to grow, we can expect to see more roles related to design and design research specific to AR, although these positions are currently limited. If you’re leaning towards the design side, there are a few software options available for prototyping. Regardless of your focus, having a solid understanding of design methodology and human factors will be beneficial, especially since designing the next interaction paradigms won’t happen in isolation.

2 Likes

In any case, having a foundational grasp of design methodology and human factors would be valuable, as designing the next interaction paradigms involves more than just technical skills.

Thanks! I’ve already started a C# and Unity course, and my background is more in arts and design. I’m curious if you have any advice on developing design methodology skills specifically for AR?

1 Like

To begin with, consider what makes our current UX approaches effective for 2D interfaces. Concepts like simplicity and affordances, though not directly transferable, are crucial for helping newcomers to 3D interfaces adapt.

Explore how well-established iconography can be applied in a 3D context and how new forms of interactivity can be intuitively represented.

There’s a wealth of high-level work involved in understanding both the technical and design aspects of AR. It’s crucial to stay updated on new technologies and software developments. Given the ongoing investments in this field, there’s a lot of volatility regarding what works and what doesn’t. Standard hardware and software haven’t been firmly established yet, and we may not see consistency until a major player introduces groundbreaking technology (like Apple, which tends to keep its plans under wraps).

Learning C# and Unity is a solid foundation and will prepare you well for various career paths within AR!

I think you need to be good in many programming languages and mobile app development

Networking skills, computer vision and web development are the skillset you need

Learn the basics of AR development by focusing on key areas: First, grasp 3D modeling and animation fundamentals to effectively create and manipulate AR objects. Next, familiarize yourself with either Unity or Xcode development environments, depending on whether you’re targeting iOS, Android, or both.